- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 lb dark sweet cherries, washed and pitted
- 1/2 tsp grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup brandy – Try Hiram Walker Cherry Brandy
- 3 cups vanilla bean ice cream
- Whisk sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Stir in water and orange juice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking until thick. Add cherries and orange zest, return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Scoop ice cream into bowls. Remove the cherries from the heat, pour in the brandy, and carefully ignite with a long lighter—the flame may get high when flambeing, so make sure to remove anything flammable around your cooking area. Gently shake the pan until the blue flame extinguishes itself. Spoon the cherries over the ice cream.
This refreshing dessert is delicious, fun and perfect for the fall. A favorite recipe for entertaining and wrapping up a hearty meal!
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.